President of the House of Deputies: Why reconciliation with President-elect Trump may be impossible for some Christians

[Religion News Service] For months, as the Republican nominee for president spewed hatred and contempt for women, people of color, and immigrants, the white church stood by and watched. The Twitter hashtag #whitechurchquiet bears witness to our silence.

But on Election Day, white Christians — not just an overwhelming number of evangelicals, but also majorities of Protestants and Catholics — spoke by electing Donald Trump president of our country.

I fear now, as I have feared for months, the impact of his presidency on vulnerable people — including the white and working-class voters in places like my home state of Ohio who lent him their support.

Christians always have disagreements about policy proposals or party platforms during election seasons. But this year, I wonder how white Christians who read the same Scriptures and hold many of the same beliefs that I do could support a man who in word and deed has flaunted the core teachings of our faith.

People who say they follow a poor, itinerant savior who came to bring good news to the poor and freedom to captives have elected a president who speaks contemptuously of women and people of color, and whose election has sparked celebration by the Ku Klux Klan and outbreaks of violence and harassment against Muslims, Jews, Latinos, women, immigrants and LGBT people.

Christians who voted for Trump may claim policy or economic reasons for having done so. But by electing a man whose words and actions support and incite hatred and violence, the church has failed the country, and we have a lot of soul searching to do.

We might begin by examining our default response to conflict. The desire to foster “reconciliation” is deep in Christians’ bones, and it crops up in just about every statement about the election I have seen from a mainline church leader, but too often the church preaches reconciliation when what we really want is to avoid unpleasantness or get approval from worldly powers and principalities.

His vice president, Mike Pence, believes in a form of conversion therapy for gay and lesbian people that has been repudiated by every mainstream psychological organization in the country and outlawed in five states.

Reconciliation, then, may be out of reach, and it may be pastorally inappropriate for the church even to suggest it to people who now have legitimate reasons to be afraid.

Thankfully, our national elections do not rewrite our catechisms or revise our Scripture. What our faith requires of us remains the same today as it was on Election Day.

For Episcopalians, like me, our faith is well-summarized in our service of baptism, in which we are asked to promise that we will “persevere in resisting evil,” “seek and serve Christ in all persons,” “love our neighbors as ourselves” and “strive for justice and peace among all people and respect the dignity of every human being.”

If we make these promises, if we join what the Episcopal Church’s presiding bishop, Michael Curry, calls the Jesus Movement, we will inevitably come into conflict with secular power.

When we are making progress toward justice, it is easy to forget this. When we are comfortable, it is easy to become complacent and lose touch with the pain of people whose race, class, gender identity or sexual orientation are different from our own. It also is possible to dismiss the legitimate concerns of those who embrace an ideology we abhor. These are just some of the sins for which we Christians need absolution.

But our own limitations do not free us from our promise to resist evil. When the agendas of the president-elect and the new Congress scapegoat people of color and Muslims, deprive our fellow citizens of control over their lives, desecrate God’s creation or enrich the wealthy at the expense of the poor, we must oppose them. This is not a partisan political statement; it is a confession of faith.

When Mary was pregnant with Jesus, she visited her cousin Elizabeth, who the Gospel of Luke tells us hailed her as “blessed among women.” Mary’s response is entirely out of character with the meek and mild image that the white church subsequently crafted for her. By choosing her to give birth to Jesus, she says, God “has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts. He has brought down the powerful from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly; he has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty.”

— The Rev. Gay Clark Jennings is president of the Episcopal Church’s House of Deputies.

Comments

1. Sara Combs says:

Dear Rev. Jennings,
    I admire your courage for publishing this statement. I feel less alone now. I agree with you completely. A majority of the people in the county where I live voted for Trump. I am struggling in prayer to understand how they could/can support him. His cruel mockery of the disabled journalist alone should have been reason enough not to vote for him.
    With gratitude,
    Sara Combs

2. Kirsten Anker says:

This article points out that Mr Trump has said things that are in direct opposition to Christian teachings . He has attacked people based on their colour, their disability, their nationality and their religious beliefs, and has accepted support from groups that in the past have used violence against such people. He has rejoiced in the misfortune of others less fortunate than himself. This is not Conservative politics. Conservative politics is about preferring small government to big, about preserving the values and rights that are important in our lives. What this article is saying, is that in the Church, there is room for any sort of political discussion. But there is no room for negotiation over things like respect for all and a true love for our fellows. So by all means support President Trump, and give him the opportunity to make America great, but we must all agree that the moment he – or anyone else – threatens violence, spreads hate, acts without respect for the institutions of government, abuses his power to make his companies rich, lies to the American people – then these are not the things he was voted in to do, and even those who support his economic and social policies will hold off their support in these things.

• Dr. Gene Laskowski says:

What is striking about this article is that it contains very little self-examination, and in doing so, dismisses people commonly been dismissed as ignorant, maybe even stupid, and just plain wrong, deserving of our laughter if not our complete scorn. I wonder what it must feel like to. E on the receiving end of all that. I saw an interview with a man who wondered way Obama had taken a vacation from the White House while 9/11 was happening. I was, of. Purse, properly appalled, laughing derisively. And of course I felt inflated with my own superiority. It is that kind of superiority and derision that may have gotten Trump supporters out to vote. One thinks of the moral superiority of the Scribes and Phariees, the self-righteous inflation. And as an alternative, there is always Lincoln’s Second Inaugural Address.

• John Cunningham says:

Amen to this comment!
        Prime Minister Netanyahu clearly is pleased that Donald Trump is the President-elect! Gay Jennings needs to soften her self-righteous harsh judgement and take a few deep breaths. This is the day the Lord has made, let us be glad and rejoice!

• Jim Stevens says:

John, you have nailed it. Except that I might have admonished Gay Jennings in a more descriptive manner. Her obvious Left Wing extremist viewpoints are the type of fuel that is being used to ignite the riots in our streets of America. She is participating in undermining the American Way, our electorate process that is the fabric of our Constitution. Living in the “ivory tower” of piety has its hazards – one of them is tunnel vision. I respect her opinion when she expresses it from her living room and not the pulpit of the Episcopal Church. If this continues, I suggest that Trump supporters wear their red caps to church. The Church has dying parishes- let’s not kill them.

• Bill Hayes says:

None of you have “nailed” anything, least of all you. From your assumptions of an obvious left wing extremism to what few “riots” there have been being fueled, not by Trump’s campaign rhetoric, but by people like Gay Clark Jennings. Little could be further from the truth, not the least of which is that it’s her undermining our ideals.

I don’t respect your opinion, as an Episcopalian I was embarrassed by it.

• Maxwell Saunders says:

What’s “embarrassing” is the Episcopal Church’s stance on anything that doesn’t consider common sense. The core mission of the Church is the doctrine, not political stances that set us apart.
            However, any campaign rhetoric is just that, *campaign* rhetoric, which is always different than the administration. If we were to believe everything that was said during a campaign Obama would have closed Guantanamo, pulled our troops from the Middle East, and we’d all be enjoying free health care now.

• Denise Shaner says:

Amen.

• Jennie Hutchinson Shanks says:

Thank you for your words, Bill Hayes. As Gay said, “But our own limitations do not free us from our promise to resist evil…… ….Reconciliation is holy work. Resistance is too. We need to watch and wait to see what God is calling us to do.” Wise, wise words.

• Elisabeth Barker says:

Although Obama may have taken vacation on 9-11, most ppl know that George Bush was president and Obama didn’t become president until 2008 and sworn into office 2009. Problem is-many ppl didn’t stop to think that Obama wasn’t president during 9/11. That was a lie being perpetrated by the far right!!

• Grace Cangialosi says:

Just a reminder that Obama was not President on 9/11–George W. Bush was.

• Martin Bednar says:

I notice a thread of commonality here, in some of the responses to Rev. Clark Jennings article and I see it many other responses to those who write anything that pushes back against Donald Trumps rough treatment of others. I commonly see that one who believes Donald Trump is not tolerant or loving and uses ridicule as a tool is frequently told to get off their intellectual high horse or to examine themselves before deriding others or that somehow calling Trump on his course and surly treatment of the weak and powerless is something initiated by a self righteous smarty pants who is the core of America’s real problems. This thread also weaves in and out of society in education and academia as some in America have come to look down on education as a costly mess that should be privatized to clean it up and that the pursuit of anything intellectual and scholarly is self-important baloney. This kind of development is society first came to my attention when a bumper sticker began to pop up and then became popular which said “My kid beat up your honor student”. This is a bully tactic, goes against any Christian teaching, is classic Trump on the stump and a right wing dog whistle that says thoughtful, kind people are weak and need to be put in their place. Killing the messenger like Rev. Clark Jennings isn’t going to work now and we see the tactic of displacing and then dispensing blame as a strategy used on the right over the years from the top down. Shame on them. I’m 62. I was raised as a Christian. My mother would have told me to stay away from a guy like Donald Trump if we’d have been growing up together.

• Charlotte A Martin says:

Martin, I completely agree with you. As I was reading this I wondered if you had been reading my mind.

• Michael Jupin says:

One of my mentors, Rabbi Ed Friedman, observed that whenever a leader would take a clear position on important matters that person would be labeled arrogant, self-centered and narcissistic. I read Gay Jennings’ questioning of how Christians could vote for Trump not as a statement of personal superiority but as honest questioning. The question is also not about how you “feel” but what are you “thinking.” Jesus tried to get people to “think” by asking questions, telling stories, and, especially in John’s Gospel, using “I” statements (I am the light of the world). To turn the tables on this responder, perhaps responses to Gail’s statement says more about them than about Gail. Perhaps Gail’s questioning of Donald Trump makes them feel uneasy and insecure. Jesus’ presence seemed to have had that effect on a lot of people and we know own what happened to him.

• Dustin Caviness says:

The reason the Episcopal church left me is for the same reason the church cannot participate in one of its own questions in the Baptismal Covenant, “Will you preserve in resisting evil, whenever you fall into sin, repent and return to the Lord?” My answer is yes and when it comes time to vote, it is politics, not religion. Many Episcopalians are very naive and don’t understand our world motivators are the seven deadly sins. Look at the people who were corrupted by greed when Jesus turned politics and cast the evil out of the church. I am not saying Trump is anything good, but out of the many running for office of president the only other popular candidate on the picture box never knew what taking the high road even means. I have never seen a political candidate show up on stage with the same use of colors as the Vatican uses. To me I watched the Democratic Party symbollically mock the Catholic Church, of which the Apostles Creed recognizes, and I know many of my fellow Christians seen, but leaders of the Episcopal church do not understand they are pushing ideas from a narrative that is not for Christians. You are subject to rhetoric when you go in public. The television pushes rhetoric on you in your home. Understand the narrative. https://www.narrativeproject.org/know/#intro. This is real. God is real and the only way to answer for your actions in this biosphere is to accept Jesus Christ as you savior. John 3:16 is clear about this. We should be praying for Donald Trump that God guides him in the right direction. It’s time to heal from what this evil world and its motivators have created.

3. Rev Dr Charles Walthall says:

Thank you for pointing out that Trump’s values are not Christian values, and are not American values. As Sen. Harry Reid notes: Donald Trump is “a sexual predator who lost the popular vote and fueled his campaign with bigotry and hate…If Trump wants to roll back the tide of hate he unleashed, he has a tremendous amount of work to do and he must begin immediately” – with Bannon. Trump just ran the most hateful and divisive campaign in history. He remains a hateful, divisive, ruthless, bullying, greedy, selfish, ego-centric, womanizing, racist, bigot. Good Lord, deliver us! Drain the swamp, indeed!

4. Hugh Hansen, Ph.D. says:

A Call to Prayer
    1First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, 2for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. 3This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the testimony given at the proper time. 7For this I was appointed a preacher and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying) as a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth. 1 Tim. 2.

Now, May we all join together in the Eucharistic celebration.

8Therefore I want the men in every place to pray, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and dissension.

5. Nicholas Petersen says:

I’m a white Christian who did not vote for Donald Trump. On top of that, I live in a state that overwhelmingly voted for Hillary Clinton. So forgive me if I find this article, in which I am unfairly lumped together with a group of people based on their skin tone, not only condescendingly stereotypical, but itself antithetical to the teachings of Jesus. Shame on you.

• Rev Dr Charles Walthall says:

I am a white male by accident of birth, but hardly stereotypical. Please, o please, lump me proudly together with women, people of color, immigrants, LGBT, handicapped, or whomever, if that is what it takes to overcome hatred, racism and bigotry; if that is what it takes to live into our creation in the Image of God, our Oneness in Christ, and, as emphasized in the presenting article, to live into our baptismal covenant: to seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving our neighbor as ourself; to strive for justice and peace among all people, and respect the dignity of every human being. These are by no means antithetical to the teaching of Jesus. Shame on those who ignore the marginalized and oppressed, the least of these my sisters and brothers.

• Thomas Finlay says:

Didn’t our Lord teach us about the dangers of saying, essentially, ‘I have followed the Law. Thank you God that I am not like these others (Luke 18 – at v. 9 begins “He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous…”). Worth a reread.

My sense is that this article more closely reflects the point of view of those minority groups that are being advocated for; how they may feel about this Presidential election and the meme #whitechurchquiet. If you are a minority, it may be going forward that every time you encounter a white person you have to wonder if that white person is among those who voted for this hate and racism reflected in the President-elect. Maybe we could ask PB Curry?

• Jim Stevens says:

AMEN Brother! And to think these individuals are leading a Christian organization. No wonder it is failing.

6. Nancy Foye-Cox says:

God bless you, Gay, for your courage and wisdom. I too do not feel so alone now. I am sorry I wasn’t braver at Diocesan Convention last weekend. Here is what I wrote to friends following the election. I pray that our church will not do to Bishop Currys legacy at the end of his term what our country is doing to the Obama legacy.

Look, I know you will think I am just bitter and cynical and will probably see my remarks as exaggerated. But I worked for government for 40+ years, up close and personal, and in Washington DC in the late 1970s during the heyday for women in appointed office, not just elective office. I was a direct negative beneficiary of the Reagan presidency in the 1980s. That was the last election when I saw such devastation for women in government. And women could not deliver passage of the ERA.
    Women are still tokens as they were then, making only 11 cents more per hour than they did 40 years ago. At this rate, according to the Institute for Women’s Policy Research, at the same slow pace it will take 43 years—until 2059—for women to finally reach pay parity. We can kiss raising the minimum wage goodbye. On-site child daycare, jobsharing, and flextime at federal agencies died with Reagan and were never restored.
    My only bright spot so far, is Kent State University is launching a new course devoted to Hillary Clinton. This election is much more than the first woman presidential candidate lost an election. As a pundit said, when we tell children that anyone can be President of the U.S., OMG it’s true!! At least Reagan was a governor.
    At age 70, I truly believe I will never see a woman as U.S. president. I cannot accept that the most qualified person ever to run for president lost. This election is the worst in my lifetime. Only 46.9% of eligible voters voted. 5 million less people voted for Hillary, and 4 million less voted for Trump.
    We now have an unapologetic, sexual predator as president, who has promised to sue all 12 women brave enough to accuse him. His election will diminish employer-based sexual harassment complaints and criminal rape cases being successfully prosecuted in jury trials for the next 50 years. The “chilling effect” of women even pursuing such complaints or criminal charges will be major. And just about the time college students were finally coming forward about date rape on college campuses, the message to college presidents is business as usual with male athletic teams and no Title IX enforcement. Just when professional athletic teams were finally penalizing players for sexual assault and domestic violence. To quote Melania Trump, “Boys will be boys” will once again be acceptable.
    I was a victim advocate for ten years with the Summit County, Ohio court system. The successful prosecution of criminal rape cases was already very low. Trump’s election will ensure that more juries than ever will exonerate rapists and blame victims, giving the reason that “she asked for it.” For years I have heard majority white jurors in exit interviews say that drunk female adult victims were just as culpable as their attacker, showing much more compassion for the attacker and their impaired reputation if convicted impeding their future employment.
    The Huffington Post reported in 2014,
    …Although roughly 1 in 6 women nationwide are victims of sexual assault — with the rate being higher for women in college, according to the National Crime Victimization Survey — rapists often escape jail time. (Currently, out of every 1,000 rape cases 994 rapists walk away free.) Only between 8 percent and 37 percent of rapes ever lead to prosecution, according to research funded by the Department of Justice, and just 3 percent to 18 percent of sexual assaults lead to a conviction.
    It may be important to educate women about their own history, but with 6 women out of 50 State governors, 20 women out of 100 U.S. senators (women won three Senate seats in NV, NH, and IL with a gain of one woman with the retirement of Mikulski and Boxer. I would assume that Feinstein isn’t far behind them ), and 84 Congresswomen out of 435 House members (Pelosi and Holmes Norton could retire in 2018), the reality is white men continue to control this country as billionaires and government leaders. 52% of married men irrespective of race, 30% of Latino men, 53% of men and of white women, and 67% of non-college educated whites elected Trump. Hillary won the popular vote by 260,000 votes equalling Johnson’s take. Gary Johnson at 2% was the difference for the Trump win.
    If women cannot change the hearts and minds of men, especially their significant others and male partners, continuing to educate women and encouraging them to run for office will have the same results.
    The non-Hispanic white male power structure in our country is alive and well and clamoring to maintain their control even as their population numbers shrink. Sharing power with women is not on their agenda. Election campaign costs are so astronomical that most women candidates cannot afford or garner enough fundraising to run. If our male students are not educated about women in primary and secondary school and embrace Women’s History, nothing will change. If whitewashed revisionist history is published in Texas and Tennessee public school history books, our grandchildren will not know the true historical facts of our nation.
    Women and ageism are strogly linked as a liability. Aging men are still looked upon as vital and all knowing. For women the rules are always changed. So the path for a woman to be in the White House now, according to one pundit, is to be a Republican state governor first, not in Congress. Sorry about that, Michelle Obama, the rules have changed again. Being the most qualified candidate goes back to Trump’s view that women don’t “look presidential.”
    If pioneer women’s historian, Gerda Lerner, was still alive, she would say that women are constantly told throughout history that they are not qualified; they go back to school and gain required experience in a field, and the qualifications are changed. Sorry about that, Hillary. You needed to add reality show host to your resume.
    I am blessed that my spouse and I share the same world and political views. If there was any positive outcome in this election, some women finally were honest with their partners and significant others that they were not voting lockstep with them.
    Women without a college degree demonized Hillary. Articles and books on women’s history do not reach them or their families, in a nation where only 30% of Americans have a college degree. Showcasing female rolemodels is not enough to ensure a change for women in this country. Women heads of household and children still make up the vast majority of our poor and working poor.
    Riots have already started in our streets. When Trump cancels the Iran deal and Obama’s 235 executive orders; severs ties with NATO; appoints Supreme Court justices to reverse Roe v Wade (women will be punished by Trump when an abortion is murder again; safe abortions are already in jeopardy as the Catholic Church buys hospitals at a rapid rate and clinics are closed), Civil Rights legislation and LGBT marriage equality; signs the Congressional bill to eliminate “Obamacare” and Planned Parenthood funding; and builds the Mexican border wall and deports millions of illegal aliens in the first 100 days, we will see the true outcome of this election.
    Good luck, foreign college students, when you graduate and do not have a work permit yet. I am concerned Justice Ginsburg will die in office as she watches her civil rights legacy dismantled.
    As I shared with the Diocesan Commission for Racial Understanding, MLK did not live long enough to change the hearts of the white privileged. He was only able to legislate behavior. Hence the rage now as the white population ages and dies…
    This is the change election in which Trump could become our own Hitler. A Klu Klux Klan Trump endorsement is very worrisome. But virtually everyone in Congress was reelected with very few exceptions. I think we can expect Muslims to be required to wear a badge in the manner of Jews wearing sewn gold fabric stars and/or placed in interment camps ala WWII. Criminal justice reform will stop. Minority college grads can look forward to even more unemployment. Affirmative Action hiring will be a ghost of the past. Such laws may not be repealed but rather just ignored and unenforced. And Mr. Law and Order will not only “Lock her up” but give the Republican Congress the permission to kill the Wicked Witch once and for all or burn her at the stake ala Salem.
    A Heritage Foundation panel said that if Obama “pardons” Hillary by Executive Order, it will be rescinded by Trump, or he can pardon her himself and besmurch her personal reputation and legacy by requiring her to admit to guilt to gain pardon.
    He has told us what he will do up front, and those actions are now endorsed by the American people, especially whites.
    Oh, and he keeps a list of people who defy him. This election for Trump was to win the presidency in a grudge match and wipe out the Obama legacy, just because Obama, a powerful black man, made fun of him at the 2011 White House Correspondents dinner. He has a reputation for never forgiving and holding lifelong grudges and getting even with foes by destroying their businesses and enabling their personal bankruptcy.
    In one sense, I am relieved Hillary will not be an assassinated president. I am convinced she would have been. Obama has on average seven death threats everyday. Hillary ran for the wrong office. She should have been elected UN Secretary General.
    Like Hillary, it will take me a very long time to get over her defeat..
    BREXIT was nothing compared to this.

• Rev Dr Charles Walthall says:

And please do not forget, Trump’s sexual predatory behavior and adultery are not just allegations from a few women: Trump’s daughter Tiffany was born two months before he married her mother Marla Maples. That is verifiable public record: Tiffany Trump born Oct 13, 1993; Donald Trump and Marla Maples wed Dec 20, 1993. Please see: Trump Revealed: An American Journey of Ambition, Ego, Money, and Power by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016).

• Ronald Davin says:

Please do not forget about the adventures of President Clinton and President Kennedy while serving as President !

• No one seems to remember the acts of these liberals. But, let us all get to the streets and cause all sorts of mayhem. Burn cars, throw rocks at the police, bottles are good too. If that doesn’t work let us just shoot them point blank range is nice.
          I am sick and tired of seeing these empty headed, self-serving thugs block streets. Holding up traffic for those who work and participate in a real life, as well as stopping police and ambulance service for those who must get to the local hospital.s What a great idea to hand out safety pins to those who support these zombies. They will need them to hold up their diapers. Good luck hard working Americans who will try to tame these wild animals.

• SUSAN HOLCOMB says:

We certainly remember. But that isn’t the issue before us now. If you want to get picky, Trump has been a democrat most of his voting life. So it doesn’t really matter if someone is conservative or liberal. We’re talking about beliefs much deeper than that. I agree that those practicing their constitutional right to assemble and protest shouldn’t be destructive. In Portland, police recognized it was a group of anarchists who insinuated themselves in the crowd of protesters and caused the violence and destruction. The next day, the actual protesters raised money for reparations and themselves did cleanup and removal of anarchist graffiti.

7. MISPRINT: Flauted, not flaunted.

8. Richard Bidell says:

Thank you for your insight and courage.

9. Marilee Gabriel says:

Preachin’ to the choir, but the choir needs to know they aren’t singing alone. Thank you for describing the line that separates Christian values from what we have found ourselves in bed with. It IS alarming what complacency allows. A vote is not enough. This requires wholehearted resistance. Otherwise, we are like the people who asked “When did we see you naked and hungry and…” Voting requires filling in a box. Faith requires a lot more.

10. Lloyd E Hall says:

As I sat in my EFM class last evening trying to follow the Theological Reflection selected for the evening’s session, we kept coming back to the issue of where might God be in all that has transpired over the past couple of weeks (months?). I find myself now asking where does my church fit into all of this. The Episcopal Church has always been good about offering prayers and encouraging folks to come together. It has not been so good at stating, without reservation, that it will combat the evil in this country. I am a 63 year old Black man who still remembers white Episcopalians walking out of a Mississippi church as Black members from a recently closed ‘Black parish” walked in the front door. The Episcopal Church both local and nationally spoke of coming together and the value of the Gospel! Faith without deeds…….. Words without action …… We need to address the very real fear on the part of many that they cannot safely travel within the region of Province II without being harassed or worse by ‘fellow Christians and Episcopalians’. I am sorry to say that I no longer trust my church to have my back in this matter. I do appreciate those who have stated their support. However, the statements of all of our bishops need to include a promise to confront evil – regardless of how they/we/you voted! “Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak for me!” (Martin Niemoller)

• Please read about what is happening at St. David’s in Bean Blossom IN. We are making a national statement about racism, homophobia and bullying. We are strong enough to confront and deal with issue. We have your back!

11. Kathy Bowers says:

My greatest fear is for the environment, I.e., God’s creation. What Trump can do with a few strokes of his pen will not be easily undone later. We all depend on clean water and air for our sustenance. We need to be vigilant in promoting clean renewable energies in the face of the rape of our lands to produce dirty energies. I think God is challenging us to prefer the healthier forms of energy that God has provided, I.e., wind and sun.

12. Jim Cutshall says:

I guess you decide my post could not be seen by others because it was negative and you did not want anyone with a strong opposite opinion.
    Try this one.
    You talk about Trump and not about what the Clinton legacy would be.
    Nixon had 18 minutes erased on his tape and the coverup. Clinton had thousands of emails erased but were found in her cover up.
    I took the best choice when I voted for Trump. Why do you ignore what the Clintons have done?
    Have you drank the Kool Aid? Or do you just ignore all the evidence on the Clintons?

Why did you even pen this column?

• Christine Moseley says:

I think we were faced with two flawed candidates. However, whatever Secretary Clinton’s shortcomings were- she did not sow the seeds of xenophobia,misogyny, and exploitation of the fears of low income what people. She is not perfect but more thoughtful, knowledgeable and measured in responses- she knows where Crimea is. I am concerned that we have elected Donald Trump. I am glad that Gay penned this column because I too have felt alone with my concerns and remain uncertain about how to best live out our Baptismal Covenant in this administration.

• Sister Rebecca Anne says:

I voted for Donald Trump. Articles such as these make me wonder if there’s a place for ME in the Episcopal Church. There have been several writings this week. So unnecessary and divisive.

• Lyn Rundberg says:

As a doubting Thomas female, I did my own research on the Clintons. There is so much more than lost emails up for discussion. I am reading daily posts written with a “Holier than Thou” tone. This disturbs me as the majority of these articles are from clergy. I invite you to do your own research on the Clintons…dig deep and then delve deeper. Trump may not appear so bad.
        Don’t assume I voted for Trump.
        We need to be together as brothers and sisters in Christ. The daily “divide and conquer” …”fight what is evil” will in my opinion cause a larger divide amongst the people of God.

“Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.” 1Peter 4:8. Even Donald Trump deserves a prayer or two…

• Geoff McL. says:

There is a place for you here as for everyone, but if you’re so unserious about your baptismal vows as to be able to check them at the voting booth, presumably it doesn’t matter too much to you whether there is.

• Tracy Lawrence says:

Half the country voted for Donald Trump because we were more worried about the U.S. going off the deep left end and Clinton’s public corruption than Donald Trump’s non-PC remarks. The “sexual predator” allegation is unproven and loading it to the point of painting the President-elect as a violent rapist is absurd. He is nothing of the sort. Bill Clinton’s track record with women IS a very serious matter and one of public record, however liberals were dying to get him back into the White House. Talk about hypocrisy. Gay Clark Jennings is worshipping on the altar of secular progressivism and smearing all Christians who voted for Trump belies her world view. I voted for Trump and I worked on his campaign in Massachusetts. My family has been active in the Episcopal Church since the 1680’s. I guess I qualify as a “white Christian” though I am also a quarter Ojibwe and Cree Indian. Christians voted for Trump because many of us are not secular liberals; quite the opposite. And we are concerned about the Supreme Court and the protection of religious liberties. Trump’s election is a repudiation of Obama’s radical leftist ideology. It was too extreme for many Americans who are tired of the Democratic party’s obsession with divisive identity politics. That’s done. We are moving on.

• Kathy Berry says:

Tracy,
          Well said. I agree with you. I am hoping that Trump can bring the country together, and accomplish some of what he campaigned on, securing the border, getting people back to work, less people on welfare. I thought Episcopalians took the Bible seriously, but not literally. Can’t we do the same with some of the non-PC things Trump has said?

13. Arden Olson says:

Already I hear people on the left calling the white non-college educated working class hillbillies, racists etc. How dare they! I will remind them that for over 50 years Robert Byrd was a senator and who was a former KKK leader. No one on the left said a word! He was a Democrat! When Clinton had his affairs we were told by the left it was only sex and Hillary had some very caustic words for women. Someone needs to read what St Paul said about dealing with people that differ from you. I am pretty sure he didn’t say ‘throw them under the bus’

• Denise Shaner says:

Thank you for speaking up on the despicable conduct of the Clintons. She is not the campion of women, never has bern until tje election campaign. I truly believe there is evil in both their hearts. Greed and power is what motivates them, always has. So, it seems to me that the church has chosen sides , not in the name of Jesus, but in the name of the Democratic Party. It is causing me to do a lot of praying and soul searching – is this the church in which I belong. I have been an Episcopalian all my life (I am 62 years old), and it was painful to read the comments made by the President of the House of Deputied.

• Caroline Carrington says:

Amen to this, Denise. It is distressing that the Church would make any political statements. The role of the Episcopal church is to help parishioners learn and follow the Scriptures, the liturgy and build their faith, focusing on God’s word. We are called to be in the world but NOT of it.

14. Charles Gall says:

In my view, for reconciliation to happen with others, we must first reconcile the living God and Christ within ourselves. Resisting evil is not only an outward pursuit, but an inward one as well. If the seven deadly sins contain Wrath and Pride then we must do as Matthew commanded and “first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.” It is not and never will be “impossible” to reconcile with another human, even if that person spews the most vile hatred and evil imaginable. As Christians, we are called to be “fishers of men” and while Jesus may have overturned tables in the Temple, he also dined with thieves and prostitutes. I believe Jesus would seek reconciliation with even the worst sinners. To separate ourselves from others by denying the capacity for reconciliation is in itself a sin against God.

15. Dear Gay – Thank you with all my heart for reminding me who I am in Christ through citing the Baptismal Covenant. I said those words as a grownup, and I meant them with my whole heart. In no way have I relished these times, nor do I relish acting out a resistance to love-less policies which do harm to real people. But in my heart, I know I must face whatever is to come by resisting dogma and engaging love. Love for God, love for others, love in all things. I pray that God strengthen all of us in mind, body, and spirit in order to do Gods will, and not our own, come what may. 🌻

16. Rev. Grant Barber says:

Gay…yes. To all of it. To the attempted critics here, please engage with the argument being made, the claims of our faith, the realities of what Trump has said and done, and the irreconcilable difference between the two. When you change topics to one that you think is related but lines up with some sort of defense of Trump the argument fails. Straw man, ad hominem, false equivalencies…it’s painful. Our baptism into Jesus Christ bestows our identities, yes…. or if no, why not? To live out that reality requires what comes in the five-fold vows, yes…. or if no, why not? The repeated positions of Trump include what Jesus named ‘the world,’ over against the kingdom of God. Denigration of women, mocking of handicapped persons, labeling all people from a particular faith, continent, culture as criminals, inciting violence (at more than one rally “go ahead beat him up, I’ll pay your legal costs”), holding up exploitative business practices as ‘smart’ because he could get away with it: we’ve had flawed presidents in the past (indeed, all of them to one extent or another). Trump is exponentially, unapologeticaly in a league of his own…literally; he says he’s never confessed a sin to God because he’s never committed one.

17. Rev. Dr. John W. Herbst says:

The Rev. Jennings would have much more sway with me if she would talk directly about abortion. I’m a white Christian male who has disliked the idea of President Trump for 20 years, and I voted from Clinton without reservation. But I also understand that many, many of my friends regard the unborn as full-fledged human beings, who have a God-given right to life. For these friends, President Trump offers hope for something much more important than the effects of racism and sexism. These friends do not like Trump, but voted for him in order to try to save thousands upon thousands of lives.
    I suspect that Rev. Jennings does not agree with these friends about the rights of the unborn to live. But before she suggests that Christians may not be able to get along with a President Trump, she needs to take on the position of people who strongly believe that every fetus is fully human, so that every abortion is murder.

18. Curtis Shelton says:

Some words–not mine:

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God’s wrath but also for the sake of conscience. … Romans 13:1-7

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. 1 Timothy 2:1-2

But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9

Be subject for the Lord’s sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme, or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good. For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people. Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God. Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor. 1 Peter 2:13-17

If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

• Lloyd Hall says:

Dear Mr. Shelton: Is there ever a time when we should stand against evil when it comes from a government official? Are you saying that we should be quiet at those times and also that we can just accuse God for doing the evil? Not my God! Jesus acted in defiance of rules that were unjust. Would you have us do less? I heard those same quotes used in defense of segregation and disenfranchisement in the South and the Midwest as I was growing up. Might there be something left out from all of that?

• Curtis Shelton says:

These word are not mine. They are scripture. I did not write these words or say them. If and to the extent that one finds himself in disagreement, I cannot offer any wisdom about the scriptures than is written there.

MY own thoughts is that we should avoid all brands of prejudice and hate. We should avoid any brand of prejudice, whether it lumps together any group by race, gender, sexual preference, political ideology, philosophy or other factor and then ascribes to that entire group some sinister motive, moral deficiency, or other condemnation based on the words or acts of a few people who share something in common. We should not lump together the larger number of people who choose a particular candidate and adjudge them as corrupt based on any single issue. We should not judge anyone at all. As examples, persons in this country illegally cannot all be considered criminals because of the actions of a few. Democrats cannot all be considered evil because of their more broad acceptance of persons who have entered the country illegally. And, Republicans cannot be lumped together in a sweeping judgment as a “basket of deplorables.” All such things are about hate and are brands of prejudice. No such thing is about Jesus. (Jesus is all about love.) Neither a Jesus movement nor the Church can or should be be hijacked for hate, politics, or other such purposes. To do so distorts Christ’s message, cheapens His sacrifice, and diminishes His Church. Borrowing from a well-written song: “Nobody knows what you’re for, only what you’re against, when you judge the wounded. What if we put down our signs, crossed over the lines, and loved like You did?” We may more be Christ’s Church if we listened in love and opened our eyes to the world at the end of our pointing fingers.

19. I see this is not a forum for free speech even when within the subject. Obviously, this is a very sad situation where people can not express the thoughts that are as valid as those of the super liberals.
    This church claims to accept all and all are welcome. Why don’t you just state all who are super liberals are welcome. Why don’t you just tell those of us who are traditionalists just stay home?
    This is a real awakening for me. For many years I have provided my church with the funds for many projects that indeed, included all people, not just liberals. Your points are well made. Those who have supported the church over the years are no longer welcome. Fortunately, there is one church that will welcome those of us who are not liberals looking for a fight. We have found we will be greatly welcomed in our new church home. We wish you well, just don’t run around printing and stating all are welcome because it is not true! Advent is coming and we will bring in this new church year where we and our support will be very welcome.

• Please follow the events unfolding in Bean Blossom, IN and St. David’s Episcopal Church. Our tiny church was subject to disturbing graffiti last week. We will stand tall and continue to accept EVERYONE, no matter color, their spiritual needs or whom they love.

• Lyn Rundberg says:

Your words express how I feel …thank you for sharing.

20. Gretchen Crawford says:

It is unfortunate that people are being labeled racist according to who they voted for. I find pages like this quite irritating . Much of the article and many of the comments assume that not voting for Clinton is a crime of some sort, not Christian, immoral, sexist, and racist, xenophobic, homophobic, etc. Many long time previously Democratic leaning towns in Maine voted for Trump. I’m interested in why they didn’t vote for the Democrat candidate as usual. Frankly, Clinton’s proven record as a warmonger and the fact that she persisted in calling for a no-fly zone in Syria, which would put our country in conflict with Russia, a nuclear power, and risk nuclear war, i.e. WW3 made her an impossible choice for many of the peace, environmental, and social justice activists I know. These are people who have committed much of their energy to creating change. Our church has supported with its silence the extreme militarism, endless wars. the deaths of millions of people at the other end of our bombs and sanctions and regime changes , the decimation of countries including Libya and Honduras under Sec of State Clinton, and the ongoing torture of the descendants of Jesus’s family and friends, the Palestinians, which Clinton absolutely supported. If you include 5.2+ million voted for Stein or Johnson, the peace candidates, one may wonder why more ‘good’ Christians did not join them on Election Day. There were many serious issues brought to light leading to Election Day as well, including the utter corruption of the DNC, actual voter suppression with mainstream media collusion and election fraud in the Democrstic party. Warmongering, election fraud, widespread corruption in the Democratic Party , and an intensely untrusted candidate forced on us. While you are busy hating and shaming Trump voters, take a second and thank them. Trump and peace candidate voters just saved us from rushing headlong into WW3 via Clinton’s no-fly zone. PS 90% of our the elementary school children in my seaside town in Maine suffer food insecurity (hunger). People saw a need for change, because the status quo, domestically and in our foreign policy, is lethal. The status quo is not only lethal, it is decidedly not Christian.

• William Brewster Bird says:

Thanks, Gretchen, Tough call, good points on Dr. Stein and Mr. Johnson. I voted for Mrs. Clinton, but with a bit in my mouth. Dr. Stein or Mr. Johnson were preferable. Bernie was my first choice, because he ( and Stein and Johnson) used the word “we”. as did Mr. Trump. Mrs. Clinton used the word “I” a lot more than we. G.C.Jennings did speak to the concerns of many though, about fears. Peace.

21. Kathleen Whiting says:

I believe the thoughts Rev. Jennings expressed came from the empathy of an aching heart. I read in them a desire to acknowledge the possibility of insult and/or injury to “the least of these” under a new administration that ran its campaign on repeatedly stated messages of exclusion and ill-will toward many people in America, and whose transition team continues to espouse those same statements. In my experience, the call of my Baptism includes resisting evil and loving my neighbor as myself. I practice listening with respect when one of my clergy speaks. I am aware that in this case I stand a slightly more likely chance of meeting someone who did not vote for Mr. Trump than someone who did. My ministry includes both groups as I pray for a safe and respected country in which my grandchildren can grow up.

22. Richard LaVen says:

I am a white male registered Democrat Episcopalian who voted, not for Trump, but against Hillary, by choosing the only effective opposition. I am enormously thankful for ordinary Americans all across the middle of America who ignored the trivial hate spewed by both sides and and saw that our country was poised to turn in a direction not to their liking. Because of them, our Constitution and Bill of Rights are safe for another four years, our Supreme Court will probably be as balanced as a 9-seat court can be, and, most importantly, we have avoided a civil war, most likely a class and/or race war, that was almost inevitable under Hillary.

23. Markus Dünzkofer says:

I respectfully disagree with the President of the House of Deputies: I don’t think this is helpful.
    For one: here, it seems, that a leading Episcopal cleric limits Christianity to social justice issue. Such limitation does not further the building of the Kingdom of God. And I think this might be the root for why this statement is problematic. Yes, justice is a Gospel issue. But so is reconcilliation with God. And with our neighbour: even if we do not like him, even if he brings about destruction and harm. Reconciliation in the Christian sense is not something we can offer or deny. It’s not our gift. It’s God’s. And as such it’s not for us to limit, but for us to work to bring it about. And reconciliation is holistic, it changes all involved by healing what is broken in them. If South African can do it post-Apartheid, why can the church not offer it now? It makes me wonder if the author understands the Christian concept of reconciliation with its vertical and horizontal dynamic. If we are reconciled in Christ, we are a new creation. Surely, this goes for all people and is the only way for God’s vision of peace and justice to come a out. If this sounds obnoxious, well, welcome to the “scandalon” of the Cross. And it is for us to do. And, yes, this does also mean that we need to hold the cross up to Trump and put our hands in the spokes of the wheel of the state, which seems to chosen a dangerous path…
    I’m also surprised: by vilifying Trump isn’t Gay Jennings exactly doing what she accuses him of? isn’t Trump somebody who has human dignity too? There is a difference of opposing a person an der opposing what he says and does and I’m not sure the article makes the difference clear.
    Furthermore, i wonder if we were to proclaim more boldly Jesus as Lord and God, we could face the evil in us and around us and know there is a higher powder that will have the final word. Sometimes we seem to forget: It’s not us, who are the saviours of the world. Jesus is. And IMHO what Jennings is offering is cheap grace, if grace at all. Trump’s power is a mere drop in the ocean of God’s power, swallowed up by the omnipotence of our Creator. If we can believe this, than standing up to his hurtful words and unjust policies is something we can all do as agents of God, as those assisting the One, who brings about justice, peace, and reconciliation. Denying reconciliation seems a selfish and childish reaction, when there is so much to do and we must continue in the apostles’ teaching, the prayers, and the breaking of bread as well as working for justice, peace, and the preservation of creation.

• Dr. William A Flint, MDiv, PhD says:

The Episcopal Church left the core biblical foundations a long time ago. We are walking on thin ice today. The young adults in American society either have no need for church or they flock to the mega community churches popping up everywhere, as Dioceses struggle to keep local parish church doors open. I attended a worship event at a large Episcopal Cathedral and there were about 50 people attending in a building that could seat 1,500. Remember Paul tells us we look in a mirror and I think we should open our eyes and see. The parish I grew up in had a saying: “Be we high or be we low, the status is still quo.”

24. Mary C. Anderson, diocese of Alabama says:

Mother Jennings: it took awhile, but somewhere in the midst of my anger over the election and my joining the resistance, I have several dogs in this hunt. I am woman, lesbian, disabled, living on social security, educated, leftist democrat, and Episcopalian, all of whom I feel are in danger. I am losing contacts daily, not friends, but others because I speak out against Donald Trump. I know I am fighting the good fight, but your article has given me affirmation, protection, blessing. My church supports me and offers me refuge. I will fight on.

25. Gidget Fisher says:

Gay, thank you for putting in words what many of us are trying to sort out. When we try to define our faith-to ourselves and to others-we often come up short with the right words. I think this same struggle is occurring across the church now. In my mind, I don’t understand how one can hold Barack Obama to high standards and yet hold no required standards of Donald Trump. I don’t understand how anyone- of any faith or background – could vote for this man. As a white girl growing up in the segregated South in the ’50’s and ’60’s, I can be confident in saying that Donald Trump has opened a Pandora’s box that most of us believed hammered shut. That bias and racism is still so prevelant in this country should be a priority of our Church. We should continue to reach out to those in need, following the teachings of Christ, and hold true that good will prevail. Without vilification of the other side, we can stand just as firmly against policies and actions of exclusion and bias as those who advocate for them. We are not alone in holding decent human behavior as a moral standard. Perhaps the reconciliation will occur within our own spirits and show us a way forward.

26. Rev Dr. Michael Paul Melendez says:

Rev Jennings,
    Thank you for your eloquent words and a reminder of our promises at baptism. I found this because I typed in to googled “episcopalians resisting trump”. It is saddening to see almost no organized effort. I have been attempting to fight a growing bitterness I feel toward many white Christians and people of color that voted for this individual. I do want to remind us that he did not win the popular vote he won the electoral college they are not the same thing and so I comfort myself with the idea that the vast majority of Americans do not support him. We need to remind ourselves when we are despairing. I also want to point out that white men who made under 50,000 per year voted for Clinton. It was white men 50K through 250,000K that voted for him (75%) as well as 53% of white women. I say this because I do not want to continue a “bait and switch” where the true authors of misery get to say “it is those poor whites”. They have been doing this since Bacon’s rebellion. As Harry Spence a admired political figure noted this is not about class it is about white supremacy. H is optimistic he says last gasp I am not so convinced.

I thank you for saying that for some of us to “reconcile” with those who will inflict harm on people is violating our experience, our fear and our Christian duty. James Baldwin said “Asking me to respect banal evil is disrespectful”. I hear the whisperings of one of my heroes Deitrich Bonhoeffer “to be silent is to speak, to not act is to ac”t. I also remember Oscar Romero, the nuns in El Salvador the clergy, religious and lay people martyred by the far right, oligarchy with the US support.
    Thank you for reminding our pledges as Christians who we follow and that if may mean the cross for some of us. I love reminding us especially women that Mary was no passive sop. Another note of trivia was that slave owners-episcopalians did not want their slaves to know the Magnificat. I feel a little bit up lifted and when I have time I will read every comments as I assure I will derive comfort and ideas from many of them. God preserve us in the witnessing of our faith an date courage to stand for our convictions.

That didn’t take long.

28. The Rev Joan Gardner says:

Finally.

Where have you guys been for the last couple of years? Maybe it just didn’t hit the national airwaves, but I have been embarrassed by the lack of volume by our Church about Trump.
    I am a priest of the Episcopal Church (retired), living in California. The people around me were overwhelmingly appalled by D. Trump and the vote here reflected it. I stand very ready to support national/regional efforts to mitigate the damage I’m afraid might extend as a result of this election. I would feel better about the process if the the Church would lead. I no longer have a congregation and do not reside in the diocese where I am Canonically resident.

29. Wayne Helmly says:

Hymnal 1982, 570/571:

“All who love and serve your city, all who bear its daily stress, all who cry for peace and justice, all who curse and all who bless, in your day of loss and sorrow, in your day of helpless strife, honor, peace, and love retreating, seek the Lord, who is your life.”

30. Kenneth Knapp says:

It seems to me that this is a pastoral care issue. Some people (The Rev. Jennings may be one of them) put their faith in political power and it didn’t work out for them. That is a recurring theme in the Bible. We need to recognize their spiritual crisis and have an appropriate pastoral response, but it doesn’t seem to me that encouraging their fears and fomenting civil unrest is an appropriate pastoral response.

Donald Trump is boorish and offensive. No proof needed. Oddly, though, accusations about groping, etc surfaced nearly 20-30 years after a supposed attacks and a recent accuser refused to go ahead after scrutiny of her claim. However let’s wonder about why the Democrat candidate has gotten a free pass on a few issues: racism, sexism, and abortion. No angst from Reverend Jennings has been seen on these troubling issues observant in Hillary Clinton. Total silence, in fact. That’s revealing — and serves to prove speculation that the Episcopal Church’s left lean surpasses the Tower of Pisa. It isn’t even hidden anymore. The Episcopal Church’s leadership – in the main – wants to self-identify as the Democrat Party in Prayer. But back to those issues. RACISM: Hillary Clinton, like many Saul Alinsky devotees, slings the word “Racist!” to silence opposition. That Alinsky tactic shuts down reasonable deliberation. Yet in more plain observation, Mrs. Clinton identified the late Senator Robert Byrd (a Klansman leader) as a mentor who shaped her views. Silence. Mrs. Clinton supports Planned Parenthood whose founder, Margaret Sanger, was a notorious racist who believed in the elimination of segments of society, including “too many blacks” with quotes like “The most successful educational approach to the Negro is through a religious appeal. We don’t want the word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members”.(Woman, Morality, and Birth Control. New York: New York Publishing Company, 1922. Page 12). Silence. SEXISM: Throughout the campaign we kept hearing Mrs. Clinton’s supporters praise her gender and Mrs. Clinton herself targeted to break a “glass ceiling” of gender so much so that she held her ill-fated election victory rally at the Javits Center with its notable glass ceiling. The truth is that gender is not an accomplishment. Effort and qualifications are. To believe to be “owed” the presidency based on gender is appalling and sexist. Then there is the vilification by Mrs. Clinton of her husband’s sex abuse accusers, including those who were settled out of court. Mrs. Clinton stopped at nothing to dissect and name call her husband’s female accusers, using words like “bimbo explosion”. Before Donald Trump had a prayer of winning Reverend Jennings was silent on Mrs. Clinton’s abuse of her husband’s accusers while she was on the campaign trail. Silence. Then there is ABORTION. Although our Church reportedly stands for the sanctity of the life of the unborn child except in extreme circumstances Rev. Jennings was silent as Mrs. Clinton went on national television and plainly said that the unborn have no Constitutional right to life, and could be theoretically be aborted at anytime due to “choice”. Mrs. Clinton did nothing to move away from the barbaric practice of partial birth abortion. “Choice” was enshrined like a sacrament with no criticism for the barbarity that is mistaken for a reasoned decision. From Reverend Jennings? Silence. We could further look at Reverend Jennings’s silence at the reality of the fraudulent Clinton Foundation Charity and the injustices perpetrated around the globe. We could wonder why Reverend Jennings is silent as Mrs. Clinton took campaign money from Muslim leaders whose countries stone women who are the victims of adultery, who throw gays from rooftops, and who beat women for learning to drive. Money received from them? Silence. That is because on the the three main issues that matter to Democrats (Racism, Sexism, and Abortion) Hillary Clinton aligns most closely and all other considerations subordinate. Yes, Donald Trump is boorish. In case people missed it, he admitted to it and wants to do better. That’s called “repentance” but since it came from a Republican I suppose that it is questionable. All that is left are the irrational fears that have been hyped without reasonable proof: gay marriage will be ended, abortion will become illegal, immigrants will be rounded up and hauled away, and whatever else MSNBC can cook up. Even the New York Times said that they blew it and they want to have a better resolve to not be biased and fear monger. Revealing, too, is how Reverend Jennings is so dismissive of the integrity of the American public who had to choose between two unpalatable candidates. Revealing is how she claims that the Church has failed this country. No, I think that people who measured the candidates did the best they could – and in the end rejected a far left leaning worldview in the person of Hillary Clinton.

• Wayne Helmly says:

In fact, the people “did the best they could” and chose Hillary Clinton by over 700,000 votes, and still counting…

• Doug Desper says:

We do not live in a pure democracy, but a federal republic. We should be glad because then anarchy cannot be legislated by a single voter’s whim. The Electoral College (like the Senate) is a set of brakes on populist fervor — something that Americans are vastly ignorant about, but taken in context makes sense. It’s this: why should appx. 100 million people in high population areas in 10 states get to lord over and dictate to the roughly 200 million people outside of those areas? If we went by simple majority then only the high population urban areas would always decide federal elections. As it is the Electoral College makes each state dependent upon the others regardless of how many votes (from the living and dead) are counted in a geographical area that gets enough concern to show up. The American people elected Barack Obama twice and have rejected Hillary Clinton twice. Reverend Jennings’ simplification that white Christians are a major contributor to this election is only partially true because it ignores that Donald Trump picked up more Hispanic and Black male votes than previous Republicans. Claims of Trump’s racism become thin when one views the number and make-up of the variety of his supporters and that he has several Jewish family members, including among his own children. Claims of being anti-immigrant dissolve when one sees his wife. A lot of Democrats sat at home and didn’t vote – probably repulsed by their party’s Convention scheming and their candidate’s trust and truth problems. People don’t get Jesus when we vote. Our leaders are clay, maybe even adulterers like King David, JFK and MLK or perhaps murderers like Moses. In this election people chose the sins (and mainly unproven accusations) of Donald Trump over the world vision and truth deficit of Hillary Clinton.

32. I am but a humble supply priest and I may need absolution for quite a few things, but supporting Mr Trump for president is not one of them. But he did win nonetheless. It will be very interesting to see what Holy Resistance the National Church office will advocate down the road.

33. Dennis Latta says:

If you voted for Hillary Clinton you are welcome in my church. If you voted for Donald Trump you are welcome in my church. If you didn’t vote for anyone you are welcome . If you are afraid of the future you are welcome. We will not stand in judgement. We are into healing and lifting the people up that God sends us . Come let us worship together.
    The Reverend Dennis J. Latta
    St. James Church Vincennes,Indiana
    St. Johns Church Washington,Indiana

34. The Rev. Deacon Bercry Eleanor Leas says:

With both a heavy heart and hope for the future, I have watched, read, listened, and prayed. Half of our wonderful nation is in mourning, while the other half is not completely joyful. With the political process now finished, it is time to complete the mourning period and get on with the business of the Lord.
    As a deacon in the Episcopal church, I have had the honor to walk alongside many individuals who were and are hurting and making very difficult decisions. I have opinions for my own life, but do not impose my will on anyone else. That does not mean that I do not express my opinions if asked or if I believe that a person needs to know both sides of an issue in order to make a considered choice.

As we, the people of the United States, get on with the business of running this nation, our voices need to be heard on issues important to justice and how we perceive those issues. It is now our duty to engage in peaceful but powerful ways, to make our opinions and beliefs known. Do not sit back and talk with no action. Whether you have concerns on the local, county, state, or national level, call, text, write, or e-mail the persons in power. Be logical, polite, but firm in your concerns. Engage!
    Ask questions. Propose ideas. Listen.
    Turning our backs on one another is not the answer. Everyone comes to a problem with a different set of background issues and expectations. If we do not accept that premise, then no listening will truly take place. If no listening takes place, then nothing but continued hard feelings and helplessness will continue.

35. Dr. William A Flint, MDiv, PhD says:

I think the current positions of the Episcopal Church are in error. Abortion is murder and I do not now nor will I ever accept it as a woman’s choice. If one can not value life, then one can not live in the God of Life. There are multiple issues the Church is in error on, but this is the greatest. Yes, I voted for Trump.

36. William Brewster Bird says:

The election will bring out the best and worst of us all. I was with my wife on the left coast the other day ( the weekend of the 19-20 of November) and the Confederate flag was seen on several 4 x 4 trucks around a state park beach. It is funny and sad that the ISM comes out when we think the coast is clear for hate. Also the different appointments that are coming up are somewhat scary. Though, maybe, hopefully, maybe, by bringing such elements on-board, the criticism will stop and there will actually be very Liberal things done. I equate the Confederate flag with hate. Hate speech is not free speech. I have seen a lot of the ISM on social media this season and I wasn’t surprised at the Confederate flag being displayed on the back of Pick-up trucks. A weird use for the Cross of Saint Andrew! but one now ever equivocated with the ISM of the South (openly expressed) and the shirt-collar ISM of the North and West. Hate is hate. Jesus calls us to love Love, not hate.

37. William Deitenbeck says:

Has the writer forgotten the principle of “judge not, that you not be judged?”

This is a typical left-liberal attack consisting only of prejudice and false assumptions, just like the mainstream media and Democratic Party spewed during the campaign. Keep in mind that I am Episcopalian, too, and recognize a propaganda trope when I see one. I voted for Donald Trump. Be careful that you do not make the same error that Hillary did in assuming those with whom you may disagree are so-called “deplorables,” and that our president-elect is a bigoted barbarian. Don’t be so self-absorbed and heedless of regular Americans.

I realize that my Church has a predominance of liberals, and I don’t expect to agree with everyone about everything. I do expect Church leaders to be broad-minded and not prejudiced.

38. “President-elect Trump’s rhetoric and his behavior indicate that he does not regard significant numbers of other Americans as his equal, or even as fully human.” Unfortunately, I hear the same sentiments expressed against the half of voters who voted for Trump. The President of the House of Deputies may be tuned into many diversity issues, but I don’t think she has carefully attended carefully to working people who delivered a rejection of business as usual by casting a vote that wasn’t for Hillary Clinton. She just dismisses them with the briefest of notes on the deep list of problems and grievances that neither party has so far addressed.

This won’t do, and the House of Deputies is dishonored by such an intemperate rant. I say this, by the way, as someone who voted for HC. But any populist revolt should call forth the fortunate to listen first, and write manifestos afterward.

39. Robert S. Eliot says:

I had my letter transferred to the Reformed Episcopal Church last spring. Statements such as Rev. Jennings and those of the the bishops have reassured me my decision was correct. The Episcopal Church has become a leftwing PAC…you are off the rails.

40. Screeds like this one are why I refer to it as the Episcopal Organization, why I consider the “church” into which I was baptized to be Unitarians with better fashion sense and why I refuse to put “The Rev.” in front of Jennings’ name.

41. By God’s Providence – not some random accident – I am a white male who is glad to have voted for Mr. Trump, especially given his deplorable opponent. I’m tired of all the whiny nags who look down their snooty noses at me and the 60 million or so who joined me. Get over yourselves.

42. When I compared Mr. Trump with Mrs. Clinton, I was glad to vote for him. You can stop judging him, me and the 60 million or so who joined me.

43. Marilyn White says:

I am so disappointed in this article. I am an Episcopalian from birth and I have always learned not to judge people by what is said about them, especially in the press. From all of your comments I would distrust you more than I would distrust Donald Trump. He is a man and human and makes mistakes, I am sure you are perfect. I am white and have made the mistake of judging people by the actions of some but not by their race, color, or creed. I am a sinner and know that my salvation comes from Christ and if you would actually do some exploring into Donald Trump’s life he is trying very hard to follow Christ. It really doesn’t sound like you are. I will pray for you to have open minds and trust that we will survive the next four years like we have survived the last eight. God Bless you and keep you and those you love this day and always.

• Elaine Jenkins says:

Wow. What I see in many of these,folks is an astonishing lack of Christian Education. Let us be reminded that we are to give to all that ask, treat all persons with respect, to judge leaders by the fruits of their labors, to choose leaders that show good judgment, have good interpersonal skills and are merciful and fair, are compassionate, who study God’s word daily, and do not mistreated people who have less power.

44. Karl christensen says:

I too consider myself as a Christian, by no means perfect, and I voted for our President-Elect. How dare you try to shame me. I had a difficult time as many with this election cycle. I was not happy with any of the candidates. On Election Day I turned to my bible to Proverbs 6: 16-19.how possibly could I vote for the Democratic candadite? this author should know better than to sow discord amount brethren using gender and her collar to push her nonsense. I suggest she re-read 1 Tim 2:8-15 with emphasis on vs 12.

45. Michael Patterson says:

Ordinarily, I am inclined to respect political, philosophical, and religious differences.
    This year, I am having a very hard time reconciling with fellow Christians who voted for an openly racist, bigoted, and sexist candidate, whose rhetoric has caused harm to my fellow citizens who are Muslims and/or individuals of color. The people we vote for, just like the company we keep, matters. Those of us who voted for the President Elect joined hands with neo-nazis, the kkk, white supremacists, self-loathers, and others who promote hatred.

At present, I cannot bring myself to come to terms with brothers and sisters who, due callousness, implicit and explicit bigotry, sexism, or intellectual laziness, supported such a woefully unqualified candidate, whose open expression of hatred has hurt my fellow citizens. This runs against my natural inclination towards and desire for reconciliation.

46. Cynthia Katsarelis says:

With the passing of time, I find the remarks by the Rev. Gay Jennings Clark to be true. 900+ hate crimes tracked by the SPLC. A cabinet that thus far virulently homophobic (under what grounds, considering all the divorces and adulteries amongst them). A cabinet that is white supremacist, anti-semitic, and decidedly misogynist. Policies that make no sense, but benefit the wealthy. And horrific embarrassments in the foreign relations area. Calling the Taiwanese president? That’s a bull in the nuclear china shop.

Many women who have been sexually assaulted have had their anxieties triggered and are in despair.

If you say that you didn’t support the hate part of Trump’s agenda, but you still empowered him, you need to take responsibility and send him that message as strongly as possible. If Christian Trump voters do not engage in aggressive activism to protect human rights, that silence will tell us what we need to know.

I’m not optimistic. The job of the rest of us is to make sure that Trump’s hate and hate cohort is NEVER accepted as normal. NEVER.