[Episcopal News Service – Fort Worth, Texas] During its Feb. 26-28 meeting here, the Episcopal Church’s Executive Council adopted multiple resolutions, which are summarized below.
Advocacy and Networking for Mission
- Affirm the following ministries as Jubilee Ministries: GraceWorks, Grace Episcopal Church, Birmingham, Alabama, Diocese of Alabama; Kitchen of Hope, St. Thomas Episcopal Church, Glassboro, New Jersey, Diocese of New Jersey; Hands of Hope for the Community, St. James Episcopal Church, Edison, New Jersey, Diocese of New Jersey; St. Joseph – St. John Episcopal Church, Lakewood, Washington, Diocese of Olympia (AN005).
- Declare its condemnation of all manifestations and instances of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual violence, and stalking regardless of age, gender, or ethnicity of the victim, and whether the incidents are in the victim’s home, workplace, on the streets, in war and war-like conflicts, or anywhere else; declare its commitment to support legislative, judicial, and other forms of government and official actions that protect the rights of victims and survivors of these violent acts; urge all Episcopalians to strive for justice and healing for victims of any kind of violence through listening, believing, prayer, education, advocacy, trauma-informed pastoral care, and action (AN006).
- Acknowledge receipt of the Episcopal Historically Black Colleges and Universities Task Group’s report; that the charge and mandate of the Episcopal Historically Black Colleges and Universities Task Group, established by the Executive Council in January of 2015 (AN039) and activated in September of 2015, be extended through June 2017 with a report due to the Executive Council by June of 2017; and allocate $20,000 in 2016 to support the work of the Episcopal Historically Black Colleges and Universities Task Group in its consultation with St. Augustine’s University and Voorhees College (AN007).
Finances for Mission
- Authorize treasurer to advance funds from the $1 million triennial block grant of the Episcopal Church in Navajoland (ECN) when requested by the bishop; that because a prior resolution contemplates a three-year advance, ECN shall provide a balanced three-year projected budget of revenue and expense prior to requesting any amount beyond the $333,333 proposed as the budget for 2016 (FFM021).
- That upon receiving written request from the Standing Committee of the Episcopal Church of Liberia, the Executive Council authorizes that income from all Trust Funds of Class 9 (Diocese of Liberia) be distributed according to payout rates established annually by Executive Council (FFM022).
- Establish Trust Fund 1116, Trinity Church, Lebanon, Missouri, as an investment account for Trinity Church in Lebanon, Missouri (FFM023).
- Establish Trust Fund 1117, St. John’s Episcopal Church, Virgin Islands, as an investment account for St. John’s Episcopal Church in St. Croix, Virgin Islands (FFM024).
- Establish Trust Fund 1118, Diocese of West Missouri – Auto Replacement Fund for the Diocese of West Missouri in Kansas City, Missouri (FFM025).
- Establish Trust Fund 1119, St. Mary’s Episcopal Church for St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in Kansas City, Missouri (FFM026).
- Establish Trust Fund 1120, Diocese of West Missouri – St. Luke’s Endowment for the Diocese of West Missouri in Kansas City, Missouri (FFM027).
- Establish Trust Fund 1130, The Bean Account for St. George Episcopal Church in Fort George Island, Florida (FFM028).
- Establish Trust Fund 1131, Fort George Account for St. George Episcopal Church in Fort George Island, Florida (FFM029).
- Establish Trust Fund 1132, Colleges and Universities of the Anglican Communion for Colleges and Universities of the Anglican Communion in New York, New York (FFM030).
- Establish Trust Fund 1134, Hanes A. Burkart Trust, income to be used by the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society for female scholarships (FFM031).
- Establish Trust Fund 1133.01, The William Cooper Procter Fund (established as a permanent trust with $580,000 the Orleton Trust – an Ohio trust established by heirs to the Procter and Gamble assets, income from Trust Fund 1133.01 is to be used for the general purposes of the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society) (FM032).
- Establish Trust Fund 1133.02, The William Cooper Procter Fund (established with $5,459,956.53 from the Orleton Trust – an Ohio trust established by heirs to the Procter and Gamble assets, Trust Fund 1133.02 is for the general purposes of the DFMS) (FM033).
- Expresses profound gratitude to the family of Mary E. Johnston, who created the Orleton Trust Fund on July 14, 1944, for the trust’s generous distribution of more than $6,000,000 to the DFMS on Dec. 29, 2015 (FFM034).
- Approve 2016 budget for the Episcopal Church (FFM035).
- Establish Trust Fund 1135, Grace Episcopal Church Endowment Fund, Columbus, Nebraska, for Grace Episcopal Church in Columbus, Nebraska (FFM036).
- Authorize Joint Standing Committee on Planning and Arrangements to explore raising money for a larger than usual worship event (Palmer Center, Austin, Texas) at General Convention 2018; signed commitments for full cost must be received by the treasurer before any contracts for the event will be signed (FFM037).
Governance and Administration for Mission
- Establish guidelines for interaction of council members with media representatives (GAM003).
- Establish guidelines for media representatives covering council meetings (GAM004).
Local Mission and Ministry
- Recognize that the LMM 001 Ad Hoc Committee on ECCIM (Executive Council Committee on Indigenous Ministries) needs more time to complete its work and make its report and recommendations regarding the creation of a body to advise on Indigenous/ Native American ministries; therefore direct the LMM 001 Ad Hoc Committee to continue work and submit report and recommendations when completed (LMM002).
- Recognize that a new category of need-based grants is to be created within line item 27a of the budget, to be made available in amounts of up to $5,000 each, for costs of assessing and training church planters and/or assessing proposed church plant locations, using a process to be approved by the Joint Standing Committee on Local Ministry and Mission (LMM003).
Governance and Administration for Mission and Local Mission and Ministry
- Acknowledge that the Executive Council Committee on the Status of Women has terminated due to the sunset provisions of council’s bylaws and rules of order, and it thanks all those who participated on the Executive Council Committee on the Status of Women for their faithful efforts in addressing needs of this important ministry; intent of council is to create a body to assist in developing a collaborative vision for women’s ministries; request presiding officers to appoint ad hoc committee to develop recommendations for consideration at October 2016 meeting of council (GAM-LMM001).
- Approve the recommendation from the United Thank Offering Board for grants to young adults (10 grants) and seminarians (five grants) (WM003).