Presiding Bishop to visit Nashotah House

[Nashotah House Theological Seminary press release] The Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori, presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church, will visit Nashotah House Theological Seminary on May 1. The invitation was made by the Dean/President the Rt. Rev. Edward Salmon Jr. at the request of several Episcopal seminarians studying at the House in order that she might become better acquainted with the life, character, and programs of the seminary and its community.

Given the untimely and tragic death of one of those students, the Rev. Deacon Terry Star, a second year student from the Diocese of North Dakota who suffered a fatal heart attack on March 4, she has been invited to offer the encomium homily honoring Deacon Star following Evensong.

Deacon Star had served with Presiding Bishop Jefferts Schori on the Executive Council of the Episcopal Church. Her visit and homily will give the community unique insights into his promising life of ministry cut short by this tragedy.

Accompanying the Presiding Bishop on her visit will be the [Episcopal Church’s] Domestic Poverty Missioner, the Rev. Canon Mark Stevenson (NH class of 2000). They are scheduled throughout the day to meet in various events and venues with Bishop Salmon, members of the faculty and administration, including an academic colloquy.

In addition they will make a visit to neighboring St. John’s Northwestern Military Academy (SJNMA), which had also invited her and where the late Deacon Star was doing his supervised practice of ministry. Members of the Cadet Corps from SJNMA, including brass players and bagpipers, will join in the Evensong in Adams Hall. The time in Adams Hall will close with the singing of the Seminary Hymn.

Comments

1. Anglicanism at its best.

2. Hmmm.

Wonder why she’s not celebrating Eucharist there?

• Don McCleary says:

I’m not a bit surprised PB Katherine has not been invited to celebrate the Eucharist.
      I guess too many seminarians would refuse communion if she was the consecrator.
      I’d also be interested in knowing why are there members of the Board of Directors who have left the Episcopal Church? If they are no longer loyal members of TEC, they should remove themselves from the Board or be removed.

3. John B Hills says:

“Low Church” Presiding Bishop Henry Knox Sherrill visited Nashotah while I was a student (1955-58). I trust that PB Katherine fares better than did he.

Rudeness to Bishop Sherrill led to one student’s dismissal. Another student kept his head down so as not to see how the PB in choir dress celebrated the morning’s community Eucharist. A third student could hardly stop telling his breakfast mates that the PB dried his fingers (after the Lavabo) on the student’s cotta.

The discourtesies were ironic. Bishop Sherrill was one student’s diocesan bishop. Members of the Christian education department of the National Council accompanied Bishop Sherrill, and later recast the seminary’s Christian education program.. The national church’s “Builders for Christ” had benefited Nashotah with funds for the construction of a building housing gym/auditorium, classrooms, and senior dormitory.

• Charles Jett says:

It would be nice if we all could show respect for each other as contained in our baptismal vows. I find your phrase “the seminary’s Christian education program” interesting after reading the blogs from former students of NH re Bp Salmon’s invitation. they seem to be far from a Christian response.

4. The Rev. Canon D. Joe Dunlap says:

I am grateful that some “House” seminarians request that the PB visit, and that Dean Bp. Salmon honored their request, and that the PB accepted the invitation. To honor the memory of Dn. Star during that visit is, of course, most appropriate. I trust all NH community members will accord the PB courtesy and respect, whether a member be on the same “theological page” as the PB or not. That some members of the NH Trustees are / were not members of TEC-USA is no cause for uproar. All seminaries allied with the TEC-USA, except GTS, are autonomous of “815” and General Convention, I believe. I would encourage others to go to this link of the Nashotah House blog, and view the Youtube via link therein, of Dean Bp. Salmon speaking regarding the PB’s visit ~ this was recorded prior to Dn. Star’s untimely death, may he rest in peace. Blessings to all: The Rev. Cn. D. Joe Dunlap, former Secretary / former Warden, The Alumni Association of Nashotah House. LINK: http://blog.nashotah.edu/blog/2014/02/21/astatementfromnashotahhouse/

5. Stuart Brent Smith says:

Does the preaching after evensong replace the earlier planned Sermon at Mass by the Presiding Bishop, or is it in addition to is?

6. I am very happy to see that an invitation has been extended to Presiding Bishop Jefferts Schori, that she has accepted the invitation, and that the occasion is a memorial and honoring of Deacon Star.

As we might say today, it’s all good.

7. Will Williams says:

As an R.C. worshiping in the ECUSA for almost 15 years, I am (using this word very deliberately, purposefully, and carefully) “scandalized” by the vitriol and un-Christlike behavior and language being put out on the Net regarding the visit of the Presiding Bishop to Nashotah House. I live in Wisconsin and visited Nashotah in 1968 long before most of those posting comments were ever born. How does one try to understand the various positions on this topic among all the anger, bitterness, and condemnation. Whether one identifies as Anglo-Catholic (as I do) or Episcopalian, this discussion has seemingly devolved into something not worthy of the faith into which we were all baptised. I am deeply ashamed for you.

8. MJRTessman says:

Iy, too, visited Nashotah House in the 1960’s, as an unchurched high school student from Milwaukee. That visit kindled something in my soul. From 1997-2003 I was on the faculty and was privileged to know and work with many fine students and colleagues. I laid hands on the first woman ordained priest in the Diocese of Fond du Lac (one of my better students) and “hell did NOT freeze over” as was predicted. “God is working his purpose out, as year succeeds to year…” and my role is to pray and be accountable, in my context, for what I am given to do and be. I have to hold onto the faith that was once given to the apostles, and do my best to be worthy of my calling. Decrying that of others isn’t edifying, however sad it makes me feel.

I sympathize with you, Mr. Williams, and find it grievous (especially in this Holy Week) that we who are the latter day disciples of Christ are still playing out the “who will be greater in the kingdom” scenario from Mark 10:36f. It seems that church discipline, or the lack of it, has rendered us more dependent upon Canons and “ecclesiastical” stripe, than the Gospels. Reconciliation, repentance, forgiveness, footwashing? What are these but outmoded and fanciful “concepts” and “liturgical” playthings in the hands of “conservatives” and “liberals” alike? The church ought to be ashamed for making Gospel “lite” the norm, rather than the exception. But I can only be responsible for myself. Blessed Passiontide.