[Episcopal Diocese of New Jersey] The Standing Committee of the Episcopal Diocese of New Jersey has announced a slate of six nominees to stand for election as the diocese’s 12th bishop.
The nominees are:
- The Rev. David Anderson, 56, rector of St. Luke’s Parish in Darien, Connecticut;
- The Rev. Joan Beilstein, 52, rector of Church of the Ascension in Silver Spring, Maryland;
- The Rev. Allen F. Robinson, 42, rector of St. James’ Church in Baltimore, Maryland;
- The Rev. Canon Melissa M. Skelton, 61, rector of St. Paul’s Church in Seattle, Washington; and canon for congregational development and leadership of the Diocese of Olympia;
- The Rev. Canon William Stokes, 55, rector of St. Paul’s Church in Delray Beach, Florida; and
- The Rev. Martha Sylvia Ovalle Vásquez, 60, rector of St. Paul’s Church in Walnut Creek, California.
Detailed information about the six nominees is available here.
A petition process for submitting additional candidates will run until Feb. 27. The petition form is available here.
The nominees will participate in a visit to the diocese April 22-24, during which time they will meet with clergy and lay people of the diocese.
The bishop election will take place on May 4 and the ordination is scheduled for Nov. 2.
The 12th bishop will succeed the Rt. Rev. George Edward Councell who has served as the diocese’s 11th bishop since 2003.