[Diocese of Western Massachusetts] The search, transition, and standing committees of the Episcopal Diocese of Western Massachusetts on April 19 announced a slate of five candidates for ninth bishop of the diocese:
- The Very Rev. Richard A. Demarest, 55, dean, St. Michael’s Cathedral, Boise, Idaho (Diocese of Idaho)
- The Rev. Dr. Douglas John Fisher, 57, rector, Grace Church, Millbrook, New York (Diocese of New York)
- The Rev. Nancy Gossling, 60, rector, St. James’ Church, Glastonbury, Connecticut (Diocese of Connecticut)
- The Very Rev. Ron W. Griffin, 58, rector, Christ Church, Eureka, California (Diocese of Northern California)
- The Very Rev. Mark B. Pendleton, 49, dean, Christ Church Cathedral, Hartford, Connecticut (Diocese of Connecticut)
All candidates will be in the Diocese of Western Massachusetts for four public gatherings during the week of May 21.
The election of the ninth bishop of Western Massachusetts is scheduled for June 2 at Christ Church Cathedral, Springfield. Because the election falls within 120 days of the start of the July meeting of the Episcopal Church’s 77th General Convention, the House of Bishops and the House of Deputies must consent to the bishop-elect’s ordination.
Pending consents, the bishop-elect will be ordained Dec. 1 at the MassMutual Center, also in Springfield.
The Rt. Rev. Gordon Paul Scruton announced in June 2011 that he would retire in December 2012, after 16 years as the diocese’s eighth bishop.